Bacon Potato Cakes
·2 russet potatoes
·5 slices smoked bacon
·¼ cup sliced green onion (both white and green parts)
·¼ cup flour (maybe just a bit more for batter thickness) *
·½ tsp. salt, or to taste
·¼ cup milk
·¼ cup vegetable oil
How to Make Bacon Potato Cakes
- Cook bacon; drain on paper towels and crumble. Set aside.
- Peel just one of the potatoes and cut into cubes. Place in saucepan, cover with cold, salted water and bring to boil; reduce to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and turn into mixing bowl. Mash with potato masher and set aside.
- Peel and grate the other potato and stir it into the mashed potatoes. Add crumbled bacon, onion, ¼ cup flour, salt and pepper; mix well (taste for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper, if desired, before moving on to next step).
- Stir in milk and egg to form a thick batter.
- * NOTE: Batter should be slightly thicker than pancake batter. If too thin, add a little more flour or finely ground cornmeal.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. When it’s hot, drop batter by ¼ cups and fry 3 - 4 minutes on each side; remove with slotted spatula and set to drain on a paper towel.