★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 pthalf and half
26 ozfrozen hash browns
8 ozcheddar cheese, shredded (i prefer the sharp)
2/3 pkgvelveeta, cubed
2 stickbutter or margarine (potatoes aren't as greasy with the butter, but the sauce sticks more)
·garlic salt, to taste (i've been using fresh minced since i started making these)
·pepper, to taste
How to Make Auntie Carolyn's Cheesy Potatoes
- In sauce pan combine half and half, cheeses, and butter.
- Cook over low heat until cheese is melted, stirring constantly to prevent burning.
- Add garlic and salt.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring frequently. My sisters and I cheat and don't cook it that long with no difference to the final product.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan or line with foil; also does great in a disposable.
- Arrange has browns evenly in pan.
- Pour cheese over and stir.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 35o degrees or until top is slightly browned.