Truffle Mac & Cheese
Also, I always double the recipe for a 9 x 13 casserole dish. It goes quickly.
3 Tbspkosher salt
8 ozpenne pasta,dry 1 package
1 Tbspwhite truffle oil (or black)
2 Tbspshallots, minched
1 Tbspgarlic, minced
2 Tbspolive oil
2 Tbspall purpose flour
1 1/2 cheavy cream
1 Tbspdried basil
1/4 tspdried thyme
1/4 tspkosher salt
1/8 tspblack pepper, crushed
3 cextra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cextra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
How to Make Truffle Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring 1 gallon of water to a rapid boil with the kosher salt in an 8-quart pot. Drop pasta into the water and stir. Boil for 7-8 minutes total or until al dente. Drain off all water through a colander, let sit for one minute and then toss in a large bowl with truffle oil. Reserve.
- Combine the shallots, garlic and olive oil in a 4-quart pot and cook slowly for 10 minutes using low heat.
Add in the flour, raise heat to medium and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Temper in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes on low.
- Add in the herbs and seasonings. Stir in 3 cups of white extra sharp cheddar cheese until smooth.
- Add in the truffle scented pasta and stir until evenly combined. Pour mixture into casserole dish and top with extra cheddar cheese.
Bake for 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned on top. (each oven is different so watch after 15 minutes, it might take longer)
- I usually make this the day before I’m going to cook it. Cover with foil and refrigerate.
On the cooking day – bring to room temperature then cook according to directions.
You can find truffle oil in most grocery stores where the olive oils are, or in finer kitchen supply stores.