Traditional Bahamian Mac and Cheese
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
1 lbuncooked elbow macaroni
2 16-oz bag(s)cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 largegreen bell pepper, diced
1/2 largewhite onion, diced
1habanero pepper or goat pepper, diced
12 ozevaporated milk
How to Make Traditional Bahamian Mac and Cheese
- Add 2 pinches of salt to large pot of water. Bring water to a boil and add uncooked macaroni pasta. Boil until tender.
- Strain macaroni and place back in pot. Add butter and stir in macaroni until butter melts.
- Slowly stir in most of cheese evenly. Reserve 8 ounces (or half of a 16 ounce bag) for later topping.
- Add paprika, black pepper, onion, bell pepper, and 1/2 of a finely diced habanero or goat pepper. Stir well until cheese is melted and blended.
- Beat eggs lightly and stir into mixture.
- Slowly add evaporated milk, pouring about half a cup at a time.
- Stir well, and spread the mixture evenly into a large prepared baking pan about 13 x 9.
- Top with remainder of cheese and loosely cover with foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until top is a golden color.
- Allow macaroni to cool for 45-50 minutes until room temperature before serving.