Traditional Bahamian Mac and Cheese
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
- 1 lb
- uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 c
- 2 16-oz bag(s)
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large
- green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large
- white onion, diced
- black pepper
- 2 pinch
- 2 tsp
- habanero pepper or goat pepper, diced
- 12 oz
- evaporated milk
How to Make Traditional Bahamian Mac and Cheese
- 1Add 2 pinches of salt to large pot of water. Bring water to a boil and add uncooked macaroni pasta. Boil until tender.
- 2Strain macaroni and place back in pot. Add butter and stir in macaroni until butter melts.
- 3Slowly stir in most of cheese evenly. Reserve 8 ounces (or half of a 16 ounce bag) for later topping.
- 4Add paprika, black pepper, onion, bell pepper, and 1/2 of a finely diced habanero or goat pepper. Stir well until cheese is melted and blended.
- 5Beat eggs lightly and stir into mixture.
- 6Slowly add evaporated milk, pouring about half a cup at a time.
- 7Stir well, and spread the mixture evenly into a large prepared baking pan about 13 x 9.
- 8Top with remainder of cheese and loosely cover with foil.
- 9Bake at 375°F for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until top is a golden color.
- 10Allow macaroni to cool for 45-50 minutes until room temperature before serving.