My Mother's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
I think the crushed potato chips as a topping and dry mustard as an ingredient make her version of macaroni and cheese stand out.
- 1 lb
- elbow macaroni, cooked
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- coleman's dry mustard
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 c
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 c
- sharp cheddar cheese, grated (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
- crushed potato chips as a topping
How to Make My Mother's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 1Boil elbow, drain and put into a buttered casserole dish; set aside.
- 2In the top of a double boiler melt butter and add flour, cook for several minutes to get the flour taste out. Whisk in dry mustard, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Then slowly add milk, whisking to incorporate roux with the milk.
- 3When basic white sauce is smooth and creamy add 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Stirring until cheese is melted.
- 4Pour cheese sauce over elbows and mix well. Top with additional 1/2 cup cheese and crushed potato chips.
- 5Bake at 350-degrees for 35-40 minutes until bubbly.