Macaroni & Cheese
- 8 oz. pkg
- elbow macaroni, cooked
- salt to taste
- 3 c
- extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 stick
- butter, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 1/2 c
- whole milk
- egg, slightly beaten
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Macaroni & Cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a dutch oven add water, to generously cover elbow macaroni once added. Add salt to taste, bring to boil. Gradually add macaroni keeping a steady boil. Either cook as long as directions on box says or do like me, and plump it up by letting cook 25 minutes. Trust me, seems everyone likes it plump when I make it. Once cooked, drain.
- 2While macaroni is still hot, I like to use a chicken fryer, cast iron chicken fryer, but use what dish works for you and add a layer of the cooked macaroni. Then a layer of grated cheese, then pieces of butter scattered on top. Repeat at least 2 more times, ending with butter.
- 3In a large glass or container suitable to you, mix the Milk, Egg, & Salt & Pepper. Pour this all over the top of the layers of mac/cheese/butter.
- 4In your preheated 350 degrees F. bake until set. Check after 30 minutes but should be done after an hour. Once out of oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil if you are going to take to a dinner. In the cast iron it will remain hot enough to serve while everyone else is getting finishing touches done for the group effort dinner. People have actually fought over leftovers IF any leftovers with this recipe. I adapted the original recipe suitable to my taste and my family's taste.