Macaroni and Cheese
True Story: Even though the original recipe called for American Cheese, I have never used American always cheddar. In fact here just recently when I looked at the recipe I laughed, because I never used American Cheese. I started cooking this back in 1973. I even had to call my oldest daughter to ask what did the original recipe call for.
- 1 c
- elbow macaroni (4 ounces)
- 1/4 c
- chopped white onion
- 1 Tbsp
- margarine or butter (i always use either blue bonnet or imperial margarine)
- 1 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour
- dash pepper
- 1 1/4 c
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese (i love sharp cheddar)
- medium tomato, sliced ( i love the flavor or roma tomatoes)
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
- 1Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well
- 2Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, in a saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter till tender but not brown.
- 3Stir in flour and pepper.
- 4Add milk all at once. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly.
- 5Add shredded cheese; stir till melted.
- 6Stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
- 7Transfer to a 1-quart casserole. ( I always use a square glass baking dish, works just fine.)