Macaroni and Cheese
True Story: Even though the original recipe called for American Cheese, I have never used American always cheddar. In fact here just recently when I looked at the recipe I laughed, because I never used American Cheese. I started cooking this back in 1973. I even had to call my oldest daughter to ask what did the original recipe call for.
1 celbow macaroni (4 ounces)
1/4 cchopped white onion
1 Tbspmargarine or butter (i always use either blue bonnet or imperial margarine)
1 Tbspall-purpose flour
1 1/4 cmilk
2 cshredded cheddar cheese (i love sharp cheddar)
1medium tomato, sliced ( i love the flavor or roma tomatoes)
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well
- Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, in a saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter till tender but not brown.
- Stir in flour and pepper.
- Add milk all at once. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Add shredded cheese; stir till melted.
- Stir macaroni into cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a 1-quart casserole. ( I always use a square glass baking dish, works just fine.)