Greek Baked Pasta (Pasticcio)
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, unsalted
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 3 c
- 1/8 tsp
- freshly grated nutmeg
- kosher salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- 1 c
- grated kefalotiri or parmesan cheese
- egg yolks, beaten
- 1 lb
- penne pasta, greek macaroni or farfelle
- 8 oz
- ham, diced (optional)
How to Make Greek Baked Pasta (Pasticcio)
- 1Melt 4 tablespoons butter in saucepan and whisk in the flour. When the flour is completely incorporated, gradually pour in milk, whisking constantly. Keep whisking until the milk comes to a boil, simmer for a couple of minutes, then remove from heat.
- 2Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and 1/3 of the cheese. Let sauce cool until warm, then stir in the beaten egg yolks. Set aside.
- 3Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta and cook for 2 minutes less that the package instructions say. You want the pasta very al dente, as it will continue cooking in the oven.
- 4Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Grease a 9"x13" baking dish with a little butter.
- 5Drain pasta and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Spread half the pasta in the bottom of the baking dish, pour half the bechamel over it, and sprinkle with half of the remaining cheese. If adding ham add a layer of diced ham now.
- 6Cover with the rest of the pasta and pour remainder of bechamel, distributing it evenly. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature with a crisp green salad.