Diane's Rice with Dates and Almonds
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 c
- jasmin rice
- 1 bunch
- birds nest pasta
- 2 c
- dried chopped dates (separated)
- 1 pkg
- small package of slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 stick
- butter, cold
- 2 c
- chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp
- cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp
- salt or more to taste
How to Make Diane's Rice with Dates and Almonds
- 1In saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter until beginning to turn brown.
- 2Crumble in the birds nest and stir till pasta turns light brown. Immediately add the rice and 2 cups of chicken stock.
note - the birds nest pasta can be found in any grocery store. Comes in a bag with multiple pasta nests inside. Once the bag is open, store the remaining nests in a container to preserve freshness.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Add 1 cup of the dates, cinnamon and salt. Stir. Once at a boil turn down to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5When the rice is almost done, in a small frying pan, melt 1/2 stick butter and saute the other cup of dates and a small package of slivered almonds (not sliced) until the almonds are a light brown. They will start to caramelize - don't overcook. Set aside
- 6To serve the rice, place on a pretty oval platter. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and spread the sauteed dates and almonds on top.