Best Mac & Cheese
How to Make Best Mac & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water, with 1 tbsp. butter added to boil, add macaroni noodles. Cook to al dente, or by package directions. DO NOT OVERCOOK to mush! The macaroni will almost double in volume.
- While the mac is cooking, cut up the brick of cheese into 1/2" cubes. (I DO NOT recommend using shredded cheese because the finished dish won't have "pockets" of melted cheese in it)
- Drain macaroni, rinse with cool water, then drain off all liquid thoroughly. Let it cool down a bit.
- Prepare casserole dish by spraying liberally with non-stick cooking spray. You can use a deep or shallow dish, it makes no difference. It will need to be big enough to hold all the macaroni, layered with cheese.
- pour cooked mac into the casserole dish, covering bottom liberally, then place 1/4 of cheese cubes on top of mac. Top with a few dots of butter. Repeat layering 2 more times, finishing with cheese and butter dots. Salt and pepper top to taste.
- Slowly pour milk over the filled casserole. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Raise the temperature up to 375-400, bake for 10-15 minutes more.
- Let dish "rest" for 5 minutes or so, then serve. YUM, YUM! My son has been known to eat the refrigerated leftovers the next morning for breakfast, but he also likes cold pizza for breakfast. Haha!