Bahamian Macaroni and Cheese
16 ozpackage elbow macaroni
24 ozevaporated milk
1 1/2 lbcheddar cheese, grated, divided
2 Tbsponion, finely minced
2 Tbspgreen bell pepper, finely minced
1habanero pepper, seeded, deveined, finely minced
1/2 tspblack pepper
1 tsppaprika for sprinkling on top
How to Make Bahamian Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a pot of water to a high boil. Cook the macaroni according to package instructions for al dente, about 5-6 minutes. Meanwhile, mince the onion, bell pepper, and habanero pepper. Heat the evaporated milk in a sauce pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes. You don't want to boil it, just heat it.
- Drain the macaroni and return them to the pot. Stir in the warm milk, butter, onions, peppers, and ½ the cheese.
Allow to cool 2 minutes.
- Transfer macaroni to a 9 x 13 inch baking pan and pour the beaten eggs on top. Use a fork or spoon to work them into the macaronis a little. You don't need to stir them, just distribute them and let them settle in a bit.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and then
sprinkle with paprika on top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool 20-30 minutes before cutting.