SWEET CUCUMBER PICKLES
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 6 (12) large
- cucumbers, x-large yellow*
- 1 c
- 4 1/2 c
- 1 qt
- 6-7 c
- white sugar
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- bay leaves, whole
- 2 Tbsp
- mustard seeds
How to Make SWEET CUCUMBER PICKLES
- 1* The x-large yellow cucumbers are a particular type. If they are not available to you, regular cucumbers will do but increase the number to 12.
**Brine time (12 hrs) is not included nor are the 3 days -- .
- 2Pare the cucumbers and quarter, removing the seeds
- 3Cut into strips and halve.
- 4Combine the salt and water in a large kettle, stirring to dissolve the salt.
- 5Add the cucumber strips and allow to sit in the brine about 12 hours.
- 6DRAIN WELL.
7In a kettle, combine vinegar, sugar and spices. (The spices may be tied into a cheesecloth bag or left in the pot. I leave them in the pot).
- 77In a kettle, combine vinegar, sugar and spices. (The spices may be tied into a cheesecloth bag or left in the pot. I leave them in the pot).
- 8Heat to boiling, adding enough cucumber strips to cover the bottom of the pan, cooking until just slightly transparent.
- 9Remove the pickles to sterilized jars and repeat til all the cucumbers have been cooked.
- 10Pour the hot 'syrup' into the pickle jars (to within 1/2 inch from the rim), keeping any leftover syrup
- 11DO NOT SEAL THE JARS! Cover the jars and each morning for the next 3 days, drain off the 'syrup' into your kettle (with any leftover syrup, boiling for 5 minutes & pour over the pickles.
- 12Follow this last step each of the following 3 days. SEAL on the third day.