SWEET CUCUMBER PICKLES
★★★★★ 1 vote5
6 (12) largecucumbers, x-large yellow*
4 1/2 cwater
6-7 cwhite sugar
2bay leaves, whole
2 Tbspmustard seeds
How to Make SWEET CUCUMBER PICKLES
- * The x-large yellow cucumbers are a particular type. If they are not available to you, regular cucumbers will do but increase the number to 12.
**Brine time (12 hrs) is not included nor are the 3 days -- .
- Pare the cucumbers and quarter, removing the seeds
- Cut into strips and halve.
- Combine the salt and water in a large kettle, stirring to dissolve the salt.
- Add the cucumber strips and allow to sit in the brine about 12 hours.
- DRAIN WELL.
7In a kettle, combine vinegar, sugar and spices. (The spices may be tied into a cheesecloth bag or left in the pot. I leave them in the pot).
- 7In a kettle, combine vinegar, sugar and spices. (The spices may be tied into a cheesecloth bag or left in the pot. I leave them in the pot).
- Heat to boiling, adding enough cucumber strips to cover the bottom of the pan, cooking until just slightly transparent.
- Remove the pickles to sterilized jars and repeat til all the cucumbers have been cooked.
- Pour the hot 'syrup' into the pickle jars (to within 1/2 inch from the rim), keeping any leftover syrup
- DO NOT SEAL THE JARS! Cover the jars and each morning for the next 3 days, drain off the 'syrup' into your kettle (with any leftover syrup, boiling for 5 minutes & pour over the pickles.
- Follow this last step each of the following 3 days. SEAL on the third day.