Sussex County Slick Dumplings
How to Make Sussex County Slick Dumplings
- In a large bowl mix flour, salt and shortening with fingertips until all lumps disappear. Mixture should look like very fine cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center and add warm water gradually while stirring to make a soft dough ball.
- Flour a clean surface. Divide the dough into 3 portions. Take a portion and knead on floured surface about 20 times.
- Roll into a very thin rectangle. Cut into 3-inch squares and drop one by one into your boiling chicken, turkey, duck, or beef broth. Cook uncovered about 15 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally so dumplings do not stick together.
- Remove with a big slotted spoon to a deep serving bowl. I also add about 3/4 cup of broth to the dish as it keeps them hot. Use a smaller slotted spoon to serve them.
- Note: Some like to sprinkle pepper relish on these as they eat them. I like mine without the relish...my husband likes the relish!