southern ham and beans
1 lbmixed dried beans pintos and great northerns
1 Tbspsalt add more if needed
1/2 tspgarlic powder
1 Tbspbacon drippings
2 cchopped country ham pieces or you can use ham stock
How to Make southern ham and beans
- Place the beans one handful at a time in a colander in the sink. Pick through them as you put the in the colander and pick out any little rocks or shriveled beans.
- Run water over the beans to wash them off really well. Place the beans in a deep pan.
- Cover with water about 2 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't boil over.
- Carefully pour the water off of the beans and then cover with fresh water to about 2 inches above the beans.
- Bring to a boil again and then turn down to a low simmer. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and bacon drippings at this point.
- I like to let the beans cook for about 2 hours and add in the ham and cook them for at least another 2 hours.
- Add water at this point if beans have soaked up to much water. This is not a quick dish but it is fairly carefree once you get it on. Just be sure to check your beans every hour and add more water if needed.
- When the beans are done taste for seasoning and add accordingly.