southern ham and beans
- 1 lb
- mixed dried beans pintos and great northerns
- 1 Tbsp
- salt add more if needed
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp
- bacon drippings
- 2 c
- chopped country ham pieces or you can use ham stock
How to Make southern ham and beans
- 1Place the beans one handful at a time in a colander in the sink. Pick through them as you put the in the colander and pick out any little rocks or shriveled beans.
- 2Run water over the beans to wash them off really well. Place the beans in a deep pan.
- 3Cover with water about 2 inches above the beans. Bring to a boil. Boil for about 2 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't boil over.
- 4Carefully pour the water off of the beans and then cover with fresh water to about 2 inches above the beans.
- 5Bring to a boil again and then turn down to a low simmer. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and bacon drippings at this point.
- 6I like to let the beans cook for about 2 hours and add in the ham and cook them for at least another 2 hours.
- 7Add water at this point if beans have soaked up to much water. This is not a quick dish but it is fairly carefree once you get it on. Just be sure to check your beans every hour and add more water if needed.
- 8When the beans are done taste for seasoning and add accordingly.