Southern Cornbread Dressing
- 3 pkg
- cornbread mix,no sugar added
- 1 pkg
- saltine crackers
- 6 slice
- white bread,dried
- 1 can(s)
- cream of chicken soup
- 4 stick
- celery,chopped fine
- 1 stick
- 1 tsp
- 7 c
- chicken broth or turkey broth(i make homemade)
- 6 large
- seasoned salt,garlic and onion powder
How to Make Southern Cornbread Dressing
- 1I make cornbread the night before, let cool then I crumble it and leave to sit over night along with the 6 pieces of bread,to let dry out.
- 2Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- 3First I take the butter and melt,then I add the celery and saute till tender,then I add the can of soup and 2 cups of broth,cook this till soup is desolved into broth.
- 4In a large pan or bowl whatever you mix your ingredients in put ur cornbread,white bread (crumbled) and sleeve of crackers,mix this all together.
- 5Now add the soup and broth mixture.Mix well
- 6Add your sage and seasoning.Mix
- 7Now start adding broth a little at a time till you get it to a really moist texture.
- 8Taste now before adding your eggs to see if you need more seasonings.
- 9I use onion and garlic powder,seasoned salt and pepper.
- 10If seasonings taste good to you now add your eggs and mix well.
- 11Pour inot your casserole pan and cover with foil.(Better for your pan to be longer then deeper it will cook faster.)
- 12I bake for 1 hour then remove foil and add dots of butter to cover the top.
- 13Now cook till middle is set and its nice and brown on top.
- 14*Note:the next day I will take dressing out let get to room temp,take a hand full out and form into patties,if it doesn't stick together then put some into a bowl and add an egg,(1 per every 6 pattys) then fry in heated oil till crispy on both sides,serve with leftover gravy over top mmmm so good.