Southern Cornbread Dressing
3 pkgcornbread mix,no sugar added
1 pkgsaltine crackers
6 slicewhite bread,dried
1 can(s)cream of chicken soup
4 stickcelery,chopped fine
7 cchicken broth or turkey broth(i make homemade)
·seasoned salt,garlic and onion powder
How to Make Southern Cornbread Dressing
- I make cornbread the night before, let cool then I crumble it and leave to sit over night along with the 6 pieces of bread,to let dry out.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- First I take the butter and melt,then I add the celery and saute till tender,then I add the can of soup and 2 cups of broth,cook this till soup is desolved into broth.
- In a large pan or bowl whatever you mix your ingredients in put ur cornbread,white bread (crumbled) and sleeve of crackers,mix this all together.
- Now add the soup and broth mixture.Mix well
- Add your sage and seasoning.Mix
- Now start adding broth a little at a time till you get it to a really moist texture.
- Taste now before adding your eggs to see if you need more seasonings.
- I use onion and garlic powder,seasoned salt and pepper.
- If seasonings taste good to you now add your eggs and mix well.
- Pour inot your casserole pan and cover with foil.(Better for your pan to be longer then deeper it will cook faster.)
- I bake for 1 hour then remove foil and add dots of butter to cover the top.
- Now cook till middle is set and its nice and brown on top.
- *Note:the next day I will take dressing out let get to room temp,take a hand full out and form into patties,if it doesn't stick together then put some into a bowl and add an egg,(1 per every 6 pattys) then fry in heated oil till crispy on both sides,serve with leftover gravy over top mmmm so good.