Simple Everyday Side Dishes from Mom's Recipes
This is a collection of Mom's simple everyday "recipes" for good home cooking. Of course, there were no written recipes for these dishes. Mom had the directions all reliably memorized and she could whip up any of thes in a snap.
- home grown, if possible
How to Make Simple Everyday Side Dishes from Mom's Recipes
- 1PARMESAN ZUCCHINI: Slice fresh zucchini into 1/4 inch coins. Saute in butter until tender but not too soft. Sprinkle with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and Parmesan cheese. Serve hot
- 2FRESH CUCUMBERS AND ONIONS: Slice 2 large fresh cucumbers (peeled or not as you prefer) into coins. Slice 1 medium onion thinly. Pour vinaigrette dressing over vegetables and allow to set for several hours before serving. Serve cold.
- 3CLASSIC GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE: Drain 2 (15 ounces each) cans of green beans. Set aside. Mix 1 can (10 ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 can of milk and 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes. Stir soup mixture into green beans. Place in baking dish or casserole dish and top with 1 (3 ounce) can French Fried Onion Rings. Cover dish with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve hot.
- 4BROCCOLI OR CAULIFLOWER: Best used fresh from garden. Wash and cut vegetables in bite sized pieces. Cook in the smallest amount of water possible (to which you have added a tablespon of butter and a a squirt of real lemon or fresh lemon juice) until tender. Drain and drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with salt and freshly grated black pepper.
- 5CORN PUDDING: Mix 1 (8 ounce) pkg jiffy muffin mix, 1 (15 ounce) can cream style corn, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 3 slightly beaten eggs. Pour into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 6SO EASY MACARONI SALAD, YOUR WAY: To 3 cups cold, cooked macaroni add 2 stalks chopped celery, 1/2 an onion, chopped, and 1/4 cup chopped green or red bell pepper. Add 1/2 to 1 cup total of your choice of green or black olives, shredded carrot, a finely chopped radish, or other veggies. Thin 1 cup of Miracle Whip with a little milk to make salad dresssing the consistency you like. Mix dressing with salad ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- 7OLD FASHIONED CARROT SALAD: To 4 cups grated carrots add 1 cups finely chopped celery and 1/2 to 1 cup raisins. Mix. Thin 1/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip with a little milk to make a salad dressing the consistency you prefer. Mix and chill. Serves 8-10.
- 8SIMPLE BAKED BEANS: To 2 (15 ounces each) cans of pork and beans add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 cup catsup, and 1 teaspoon dry mustard. Pour into casserole or baking dish. Top with 3 or 4 slices of bacon (each cut in half). Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- 9MOM'S RED JELLO WITH FRUIT: Prepare 1 package of strawberry jello as package directs. Stir in one can of very well drained fruit cocktail and/or 1 cup sliced bananas. Pour into bowl and chill until firm. When ready to serve "frost" with whipped topping or whipped cream.
- 10GREEN COKE JELLO: Dissolve 1 package Jello with 1 cup boiling water. Instead of cold water called for on package use 1 cup cold coke beverage. Set in frig to begin to cool. Drain very well 1 (10 ounce) bottle maraschino cherries. Chop 1 cup pecans. Stir cherries and nuts into partially chilled Jello. Return to frig to complete chilling process. To serve frost with whipped topping or whipped cream.
- 11MARSHMALLOW TOPPED HONEY SWEET POTATOES: Drain 1 (17 ounce) can yams or sweet potatoes and cut into bite sized chunks. Place in baking pan and dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Then drizzle 1/3 cup honey over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and spoon honey over potatoes. Sprinkle 1/2-3/4 cup miniature marshmallows over all ands return to oven long enough to brown marshmallows.
- 12BEET AND ONION SALAD: Mix together 1/4 cup wine vinegar (Mom used apple cider vinegar) and 1 tablespoon (or less to taste) sugar. Slice 1/2 an onion. Place onion in serving bowl. Add 1 can (16 ounces) sliced beets, undrained. Pour vinegar mixture over all and stir, being sure sugar is dissolved. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 13FRIED POTATOES: Peel and slice potatoes. Fry until nicely browned and tender in butter mixed with a bit of vegetable oil. Salt and pepper to taste. You may add chopped onion or green pepper to potatoes before cooking if you like. Great for breakfast or lunch.
- 14CRAN-APPLE SALAD: Mix 1 (6 ounce) pkg. orange Jello with 1 cup boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Add 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped and 1 (16 ounce) can whole cranberry sauce. Mix well and pour into a 7 by 11 inch dish or casserole. Cover and refrigerate until congealed. Serve alone or with whipped topping.