Side Essentials: Easy/Peasy Brown Gravy
Andy Anderson !
This is an easy/peasy way to make a flavorful brown gravy. It all boils down to a simple base, and then a combination of just the right spices.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
2 1/4 cbeef stock, divided, more on this later
1/4 cflour, all-purpose variety
THE FINISHING TOUCH (SPICES)
·nutritional yeast flakes
·tamari sauce, or liquid aminos
·ground white pepper
1 - 2 Tbspsweet butter, unsalted, for a silky finish
How to Make Side Essentials: Easy/Peasy Brown Gravy
- The Beef Stock
I use beef stock that I have made and then frozen; if you do not have any, there are options.
Boxed beef stock
Beef stock cubes
Or, my favorite alternative… Better Than Bouillon Beef Stock. I will admit that it does have preservative things I do not like; however, it is the best alternative to homemade beef stock… In my opinion.
- Now it is time for the spices. These are the spices, and the amounts I used; however, you can vary the amounts and add other spices to taste.
• 1 1/2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
• 1 teaspoon tamari sauce, or liquid aminos
• 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
• 1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
Season to taste, and whisk in the butter, if using.