Savory Stuffing for Turkey
- 12 c
- bread cubes, stale
- 1 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- black pepper
- 12 large
- fresh sage leaves, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 3 Tbsp
- italian parsley, chopped, packed to measure
- 1 tsp
- dry whole leaf thyme (1 tbsp fresh)
- 10 oz
- breakfast pork sausage, browned and crumbled fine
- turkey neck meat and giblet meat (cooked and chopped from a turkey)
- 1 1/2 stick
- butter, unsalted
- 1 large
- onion, chopped, or 2 medium
- 6 large
- celery ribs, diced
- 1 1/2 c
- turkey/giblet broth, not low salt
How to Make Savory Stuffing for Turkey
- 1In a large pan, melt the butter and saute the onion and celery for 4-6 minutes. Onion will be clear.
- 2Warm up the turkey broth/stock if it is cold.
- 3Toss all the ingredients in a very large bowl until well mixed.
- 4Use half of the stuffing to fill a large turkey. Place the other half in a buttered shallow oblong baking dish.
- 5Bake the stuffed turkey soon after you stuff it. Do not let it sit at room temp and do not place in the fridge for later.
- 6Refrigerate the pan of stuffing (covered with foil) until ready to bake, or take out of fridge about 30 minutes to an hour before.
- 7When Turkey is done, remove from oven and sit at room temp loosely tented with foil. Now you can bake the pan of stuffing at 350 for about 35 minutes (covered).
- 8Remove the stuffing from the turkey and place in a large bowl. Uncover the pan of stuffing in the oven and incorporate the stuffing from the turkey. Continue baking stuffing for another 20 minutes or so while you make gravy, etc. Stir the stuffing occasionally, as it dries out a bit.
- 9Cover the stuffing and remove from the oven after a total baking time of 55-60 minutes. Set aside, while you carve the turkey.
- 10Serve turkey resting on a mound of stuffing. Spoon a bit of gravy on top.