Sauerkraut, bacon and onion pierogi
P.S See my mashed potato pierogi recipe.
- 6 strips bacon ( fried and crumbled ... save bacon grease)
- 2 med onions (diced)
- 1 jar sauerkraut ( slightly rinsed and drained well)
- 2/3rd cup butter or margarine
- salt/pepper to taste
- garnish: sour cream and chives
How to Make Sauerkraut, bacon and onion pierogi
- 1Fry bacon but don't over fry ... when done remove bacon from frying pan , crumble, set aside.
- 2Add chopped onion to bacon grease ... sautee until carmelized. Remove some but not all bacon grease.
- 3Add 2/3rd cup butter/margarine to sauteed onion , when melted add sauerkraut and crumbled bacon , salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low/medium heat and stir until onion and bacon are well mixed in with the sauerkraut. You are ready to fill peirogi pockets.
- 4Pierogi Dough
3 lrg eggs
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Note: If dough is too thick add a couple of tablespoon of cold water until you reach pie dough like texture.
On flour prepared rolling surface , roll out 1/4 of dough at a time ... using a cutter/lid approx 3 1/2 in diameter cut out dough cicles (makes approx 24 pockets) ... fill center of circles with approx 1 heaping tablespoon of sauerkraut filling ... fold over circle and with a egg wash close pierogi pockets pressing down with fork all along open edges. Add approx 6 pierogi at a time to pot of boiling salted water, boil approx 5-7 minutes. Remove from water and drain.
You can serve with melted butter just boiled "or" you can sautee drained pierogi in butter/margarine until slightly brown. ( I fry them with sliced thin onion circles )
Optional: Serve with a spoon of sour cream and sprinkled chives as garnish.
- 5I also posted a mashed potato, bacon and onion pierogi filling.