Puerto Rican Cornmeal Dumplings
You can find banana leaves in the GOYA (brand) frozen foods section. Wash them very well under warm running water & cut to size with kitchen shears.
- 2 c
- fine cornmeal
- 1 c
- coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp
- anise seed
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 c
- honey (some people use molasses- i don't care for it.)
- 1 pkg
- banana leaves (sheets)
- kitchen string
How to Make Puerto Rican Cornmeal Dumplings
- 1Wash banana leaves, dry & cut eight 8x8 squares. You can freeze the remainder if you have any left.
- 2Mix cornmeal, anise, coconut milk, salt and honey to form a doughy mixture.
Form dough into 8 rolls (like sausages)
- 3Place one cornmeal roll in the middle of each banana leaf square.
Roll the leaf and tie each end with string.
- 4Drop the rolls into 8 cups boiling water with 1 teaspoon salt.
Cook for 30 minutes.
Remove from water, cut string from ends and serve. (The cornmeal rolls will slide right out of banana leaf.