Portuguese Beans/Feijao a Portuguesa
1 lbdried navy beans, small california white or great northern bean, washed and sorted
1 largeonion, chopped
3 clovegarlic, minced
1 can(s)(6 oz.) tomato paste
1 lbportuguese chourice sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 tspdried red pepper flakes (to taste)
1 Tbspsweet paprika
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Portuguese Beans/Feijao a Portuguesa
- Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by several inches. Drain beans and set aside.
- Fry bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon fat; add onion and cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes; Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add beans, 8 cups water, tomato paste, chourice, red pepper flakes, paprika.
- Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Just before serving, crumble bacon into beans and season with salt and pepper.