Portuguese Beans/Feijao a Portuguesa
- 1 lb
- dried navy beans, small california white or great northern bean, washed and sorted
- 1/2 lb
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 can(s)
- (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 lb
- portuguese chourice sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 tsp
- dried red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp
- sweet paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Portuguese Beans/Feijao a Portuguesa
- 1Soak beans overnight in enough cold water to cover by several inches. Drain beans and set aside.
- 2Fry bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- 3Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon fat; add onion and cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes; Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- 4Add beans, 8 cups water, tomato paste, chourice, red pepper flakes, paprika.
- 5Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- 6Just before serving, crumble bacon into beans and season with salt and pepper.