Pork Sausage Dressing
- 32-36 oz
- bulk pork sausage
- 2 c
- chopped onions
- 2 c
- chopped celery
- 1/2 c
- butter buds-prepared (or 1 stick margarine or butter)
- egg beaters egg substitue (or 2 whole eggs-beat)
- 1 pkg
- seasoned bread stuffing, cubed
- 2 c
- chicken broth, hot
- turkey giblets, chopped, optional
How to Make Pork Sausage Dressing
- 1Crumble sausage and brown in skillet, drain off excess fat. Then add celery and onion to sausage, stir and continue to brown for 1-3 minutes. Season with pepper to taste. Add butter buds, cover and steam until celery is tender (about 10 min). Add large bag of bread stuffing to large mixing bowl. Add 2 eggs, sausage mixture, and 2 cups of hot broth. Add chopped turkey gizzard, neck, liver if desired. Mix well. Put in a 3 QT Crockpot and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Makes 12 servings.
- 2This sausage can be baked inside a turkey or casserole. If using a casserole, bake at 350 degrees for at least 45 minutes (to heat through). I recommend the Crockpot because it is lower calorie than stuffing a turkey and saves room in the oven for other items. Also you can start early in morning and helps last minute preparations not be hectic. Use of the Crockpot liner, also helps with clean-up.
I use 3-12 ounces of Jimmy Deans low fat sausage. However, you can use any type of pork sausage, use 2- 16 ounce packages and you can mix 1 regular with 1 hot sausage for a spicier variation.
You can use real eggs and margarine, however it is such a high fat, calorie dish, that the lighter version is preferred.
If making sausage dressing for a pork roast, use beef broth and do not use turkey pieces.