Pineapple Baked Beans
- 1 can(s)
- 1 can of pineapple chunks, canned or fresh.
- 4 slice
- raw bacon cut in 1/2
- 5 can(s)
- of different kinds of beans. buy mix of red kidney, pinto, black, navy, great northern, butter, cannellini or lima beans. you want to have an interesting mix! just don't use green beans!
- 1/2 c
- 3 Tbsp
- yellow prepared mustard, (not dijon, powdered, seed)
- 1/4 c
- dark molasses (up to a 1/3 cup if you like it even more "molassessy")
- 1 large
- onion, coarsely chopped. i use vidallia, but any yellow onion is fine
How to Make Pineapple Baked Beans
- 1Noe: You can add crushed but i like for noticeable chunks to be floating in the beans. I buy the chunked version and cut them in 1/4's . Toss the pineapple juice. Sorry but you don't need any added extra liquid in baked beans to make them runny.
- 2Open all the cans and drain off the liquid in the cans. I just open the can, press the metal lid down inside the can, squish and drain. I then add some water to the can to additionally rinse them a bit, and squish again. Of course, u can just open all the cans into a colander and rinse! I like to avoid messing up extra pans or tools if not needed! Throw all the beans into the dish you are baking them in. Add the ketchup, mustard (yellow, not dijon), molasses, chopped pineapple, chopped onion. Mix together.
- 3Cover the top with bacon strips. Bake uncovered in preheated over at 350 for an hour or to your liking. 45 min may be just fine. Take out and let sit partially covered for about 20 min until serving. Remove bacon before serving. Beans are always best the next day, but these will probably be gone by then, though!
- 4Note: Although these are baked beans, you can cook them on stovetop on med-low head partially covered for 45 min-1 hour as well. Stir once or twice to make sure not sticking to the bottom. I use tongs to replace the bacon to the top after stirring mostly for appearance purposes. I also make sure to use a non-stick pot always. Turn off the burner and let sit partially covered for 20 min before serving.