PICKLED HOT PEPPERS
2 lbbanana peppers
2 lbcayenne pepper pods (red)
1 lbgreen cherry tomatoes
1jalapeno pepper per jar (if desired for hotness)
6 cvinegar 5%
1 Tbspcanning salt +
1 tspcanning salt
1 Tbspsugar (if desired) i don't
MAY USE A VARIETY OF PEPPERS ACCORDING TO YOUR TASTE TO EQUAL 5 POUND
How to Make PICKLED HOT PEPPERS
- Wear plastic gloves to handle hot peppers. Wash Peppers and green cherry tomatoes, leave green tomatoes whole. Leave small peppers whole with two slits in each pepper. Core large peppers, removing seeds and cut into strips. If using Jalapeno pepper core and remove seeds, cut into two pieces.
- It's easier for me if I turn the jars side ways to begin packing, turn right side up when enough peppers are placed in jars. Pack tightly into clean, hot, sterilized jars. (I place clean jars on a large cookie sheet inside a preheated oven set on 200 degrees. Remove one at a time with a pot holder.)You will need to leave 1/2 inch headspace in each jar.
- Have vinegar, water, salt, and (sugar if you desire) ready on stove. You will bring it to a boil and turn down to simmer. Pour hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Remove air bubbles by inserting a knife and gently turn in each jar. Readjust headspache to 1/4 inch. Wipe off jar rims with a clean, damp cloth.
- Have Jar lids and rings in hot, simmer water in a pot on stove. Use a canning tool that has a little round magnet in the end to pick up flats and rings. Adjust to firm tightness on each jar. A popping noise will mean they have sealed. I usually place a towel over hot jars to hold in the heat, they will seal easier. I always make mine in quart jars. Store 5-6 weeks before opening.