- 1 stick
- 1 c
- onions, chopped
- 1 c
- celery, chopped, stalks and some leaves
- 8-10 c
- bread, day or 2 old, broken into pieces
- 24 oz
- oysters, fresh, drain reserving liquid, chop
- 1 can(s)
- cream of celery soup
- chicken broth, as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Oyster Dressing
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees ( 350 degrees if you are baking the dressing with other dishes, just increase the baking time)
Grease a 13x9 baking dish.
- 2In a large skillet melt butter: add onions and celery, saute' until tender, when vegetables are tender stir in the celery soup and as much of the reserved oyster liquid as you like, stir until smooth.
- 3In a large bowl put the bread crumbs; to this add the soup mixture, oysters, salt and pepper. Lightly mix to stir in oysters and soup mixture. If the dressing seems to dry add broth a little at a time until you get the texture you desire.
NOTE: If you prefer to add sage add it with the salt and pepper.
- 4Pour into greased 13x9 baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until done to your liking.
Note: If you are baking the dressing with other dishes at 350 degrees you will need to bake for about 60 minutes.