Mum's Sweet Mixed Pickles
As I got older she continued this little tradition every year xo
Now as I've mentioned in other recipes of hers, she didn't leave me with any methods of doing things, so I only have what I have and no personal knowledge (other than eating them lol)
I hope those of you who do can, try this. I think it's worth it!
- 1 gal
- mixed vegetables (cauliflower, small pickling onions, cucumbers)
- 1 gal
- 1 c
- pickling salt
- alum (a salt compound for firming and crisping pickles)
- 6 c
- white sugar
- 1 qt
- vinegar (4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp
- pickling spice (tied in a cheesecloth bag)
How to Make Mum's Sweet Mixed Pickles
- 1Wash and floret caulifower, peel off any dry layers from onions, cut cucumbers and place them all into a large enamel canner.
Mum used to slice the cucumbers in quarters - lengthwise, then cut those quarters into 1" pieces.
Boil one gallon of water then add 1 cup of pickling salt to it. Pour hot over vegetables and cover.
- 3Day 2: Change brine (do not rinse vegetables)
- 4Day 3: Change brine (do not rinse vegetables)
- 5Day 4: Drain brine and cover vegetables with boiling water and 1 tablespoon of alum. (do not rinse vegetables)
- 6Day 5: Drain and thoroughly wash vegetables under cold water. Pack vegetables into sterilized jars. Fill them to the neck of the jars.
- 7Syrup: In a pot, add sugar, vinegar and pickling spice. Boil 5 minutes, pour over vegetables and seal jars.