Mama's Macaroni and Cheese - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
This recipe is from memory of watching my mother make her macaroni and cheese.
My mother was an awesome cook and she spent countless hours over the years walking me through cooking lessons over the phone. She continued those lessons as I needed them until she passed away in 2009.
Some of her recipes are lost forever. But, the memories are still here.
- 1 lb
- pkg elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 stick
- butter or margarine, cubed or slices
- 2 1/2 c
- sharp cheese, cubed
- 1/2 c
- sharp cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 c
- whole milk
How to Make Mama's Macaroni and Cheese - Dee Dee's
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a deep 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- 2Cook macaroni according to directions; drain. (When I cook the macaroni, I take off a minute of the cooking time.)
- 3Combine macaroni, butter, cubed cheese and seasonings. Toss together, place in greased casserole dish.
- 4Combine eggs and milk and pour over macaroni. Sprinkle top with remaining shredded cheese.
- 5Bake 35 to 40 minutes.
- 6NOTE: Make sure that all macaroni is slightly covered with liquid. If not, add additional milk and stir gently, then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Cooking time may vary so watch carefully, make sure you don't over cook and make sure that the liquid has firmed up and is not runny. You don't want this dish dry and you don't want it runny.
- 7NOTE: If you don't want to bake this much mac n cheese just 1/2 the recipe.