Kale and Butternut Squash Pie
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 pkg
- phyllo dough
- 1 bunch
- fresh kale, chopped
- butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 medium
- onions, roughly chopped
- leeks, cleaned and chopped
- parmesan cheese
- springform pan
How to Make Kale and Butternut Squash Pie
- 1Peel, seed and cube butternut squash. Mix with olive oil and salt & pepper and roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 30-45 minutes until browned and softened.
- 2Use cooking spray or olive oil in a heavy bottomed, deep frying pan. Add onions and leeks, S&P, and cook slowly to carmelize.
- 3Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add kale and cook 3-4 minutes. Add kale to onions and leeks after they are carmelized.
- 4Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Begin to Brush springform pan with some of butter (or butter substitute or Pam). Unroll phyllo and cover stack with plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel. Keeping remaining phyllo covered and, working quickly, gently fit 1 sheet into pan with ends overhanging and brush with butter (including overhang). Rotate pan slightly and top with another sheet (sheets should not align) and brush in same manner. Repeat with 5 more sheets, rotating pan each time so sheets cover entire rim.
Sprinkle phyllo with a generous handful of parmesan cheese.
Layer half of the kale and onion mixture over the cheese.
Add half of the cubed butternut squash.
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Layer remaining half of kale mixture and remaining cubed butternut squash.
- 5Put remaining sheet of phyllo on a work surface and brush with butter. Fold in half crosswise and butter again. Fold again (to quarter) and brush with butter, then lay over center of filling. Basically cover the top with folded phyllo and bring edges of phyllo up over filling (over quartered sheet of phyllo) to enclose. Brush top with butter and bake until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.