jerky for wildgame
How to Make jerky for wildgame
- With wild game, be sure to have it frozen for 30 days at zero degrees...this ensures all bacteria is dead. And, this way you may use a marinade of your choosing with no preservatives/sulfides as long as you keep the finished product in the freezer until time to consume and then consume it within 2 weeks.
- Cut meat of choice into 1/8" to 1/4" thick strips...best to have the meat still a bit frozen...makes it easy to slice with little mess
- Place strips into zip lock baggie and add marinade...turning occassionally, marinate overnight.
- I like to use the same marinade as my venison loin (london broil style) recipe listed on this site. However, there are tons of commercial marinades available with favors all over the board (mesquite, spicey, hickory....)
- use the highest setting or around 155 degrees for 1 hour, and then pat dry with paper towel and flip pieces...getting the oil off improves taste and shelf life
- rarely have I cooked longer than 4 hours