How to Prepare Edible Flowers with Fine Sugar
Edible flowers make beautiful accents to cakes cup cakes, or even given individually as gifts in jars or in pretty boxes. Display them as center pieces at showers or weddings. Even use them for holidays. These easy steps will help you create a unique accent for anything you choose.
I added the web site so you can do any searching you want to do...
- edible flowers
- fine sugar
- soft paint brush
- grease proof paper
- 2 tsp
- 1 medium
- egg white
How to Make How to Prepare Edible Flowers with Fine Sugar
- 1Locate edible flowers. Many grocery stores already stock edible flowers. If the store in your town does not check at Whole food or Natural food stores. There are a variety of online suppliers too. Not all flowers are edible. Some are actually dangerous if eaten. Please look online for a list of edible flowers. Once you have all of the above listed items you are ready to start.
- 2Gently beat egg white and water to a smooth consistency. Keep in mind your will want a nice layer for the flower. Tweezers should be new. Wash tweezers. Trim stalk on flower if it is longer then your desired length.
- 3Flowers coated in fine sugar become crystallized.
Prepare area for sugaring flowers. Fill bowl with fine sugar. Fine sugar is a finer grain then granulated sugar but more coarse then powdered sugar. Place an empty bowl next to bowl with sugar. Cover tray with grease proof paper to place completed flowers on.
- 4Small brush for touch ups
Now gently coat entire flowers with egg mixture. If the entire surface of the flower is not covered you will be unable to use it. The exposed portion of the flower will wilt and discolor. Make sure to turn flower upside down to coat underneath. When you are sure the entire flower is cover move to step 5. Do not start on the next flower until you complete each step per flower.
- 5Hold flower over empty bowl. Using your fingers sprinkle sugar onto flower. Allow extra sugar to fall into empty bowl. It will be thrown away when you clean up. Do not re-use fallen sugar. It has come in contact with egg mixture. Make sure the entire flower is covered with sugar. Turn flower upside down. Look all over to make sure it is completely coated. Now lay flower on tray that is covered with grease proof paper. Lay flower in the desired shape. It will dry how ever you choose to place it. Repeat all steps until you have prepared desired amount of flowers.
Crystallized edible flowers are a beautiful accent to any occasion.
- 6Check all flowers one final time to make sure that there are no touch ups that need to be made. When all are complete, place tray of finished flowers in a an area that is airy and allow to dry for no less then 48 hours. When flowers are completely dry you may store them in an air tight jar. If flowers will be layered in jar place a sheet of grease proof paper in between layers so that the flowers do not stick together. C
- 7Tips & Warnings
Use on cakes, cup cakes or desserts.
Store properly and crystallized flowers will remain good for up to 3 months
Do not attempt to eat any flowers other than what has been purchased as edible.