Homemade Cottage Cheese
How to Make Homemade Cottage Cheese
- Making your own cottage cheese is as easy as warming up milk! This simple recipe is a great way to use up milk that has soured.
- Heat the sour milk slowly until it reaches 100ºF on a digital thermometer. Remove from heat and add 1 junket rennet tablet that has been crushed. Stir well for 2 minutes until the rennet is completely dissolved.
- Cover and let set 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, the mixture will be soft set (much like yogurt) & quite jiggly. Using a knife or spatula cut the mixture diagonally 5 or 6 times, then do the same in the opposite direction.
- Sprinkle in the salt then set the pan over extremely low heat and cook, stirring very gently, to allow the curds to separate from the whey. This process takes just a couple minutes- do not overcook or the curds will be TOUGH & chewy.
- Drain thoroughly in a cloth bag or cheesecloth lined strainer over a clean bowl (to reserve the whey).
- Fold the cloth over the drained curds and place in the fridge for 1 hour to continue straining, stirring gently every 20 minutes or so.
- Finally, Spoon the cottage cheese from the cloth into a bowl and stir in the cream or half and half
- Taste, add additional salt if necessary. Season with white pepper just prior to serving.
- Pinched from www.budget101.com