Holiday Turkey Dressing
And it's yet another recipe from somewhere back in my father's tribe. It was a lot easier to prepare when the giblets were all there, even when you bought the turkey or chicken.
The cook time varies with the size of the bird being stuffed.
- turkey or chicken liver
- 6 - 12 slice
- One or Two large
- eggs, separated
- Several sprig(s)
- fresh parlsely, snipped
- 1/2 c
- water or milk to moisten bread
- salt & pepper
- One Tbsp
- butter, broken into pieces
How to Make Holiday Turkey Dressing
- 1Pulp the liver. I still use a hand food chopper, like my mother did. Place bread slices into a bowl, and pour milk or water onto them. Set both aside.
- 2Mix egg yolks, spices, parsely, and butter thoroughly. Add the liver and mix again. Wring out the bread slices, pull them apart, and add to the mixture and blend in.
- 3Whip egg whites until stiff. Fold into liver mixture. If mixture is too moist (it should be wet, but not runny), add small pieces of dry bread and fold in.
- 4Place this mixture between the loosened skin and the meat of the breast. Secure skin flap so that stuffing does not ooze out before it cooks.