Grown Up Mac & Cheese
This recipe takes the ol' classic and refines it for the more cultured palate. However, just like when you were a kid, you will swear you could bathe in this stuff.
4 ozthick sliced bacon
2 celbow macaroni or cavatappi
1 1/2 cmilk
2 Tbspunsalted butter
2 Tbspall-purpose flour
4 ozgruyere cheese, grated
3 ozextra-sharp cheddar, grated
2 ozroquefort cheese, crumbled
1 Tbspblack pepper, freshly ground
2 slicewhite sandwich bread, crusts removed
2 Tbspfresh basil leaves, chopped
How to Make Grown Up Mac & Cheese
- Cook bacon until crisp.
- Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to package directions.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan, but do not let it boil.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for about 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
- While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for another 2 minutes until thickened and smooth.
- Off the heat, add the Gruyere, cheddar, Roquefort, 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add cooked macaroni and crumbled bacon and stir well.
- Pour into oven save dish.
- Place bread slices in food processor and pulse until you have course crumbs. Add basil and pulse to combine.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the top of the pasta and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaronie is browned on top.