Golden Quinoa Pilaf w/Tart Cherries
- 2 Tbsp
- coconut oil
- 1 medium
- shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1" piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp
- ground turmeric (i used equivalent amount of fresh turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin or 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 1/4 tsp
- ground coriander
- 1 c
- golden quinoa or tri-colored quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 1/2 c
- vegetable broth
- 1/4 c
- dried *tart* cherries
- 1 c
- baby spinach leaves (i used half baby spinach leaves and half arugula
- 1/2 c
- green onions, thinly sliced (fresh chives would work, too!)
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 c
- cashews, lightly toasted and chopped
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
How to Make Golden Quinoa Pilaf w/Tart Cherries
- 1In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil; cook the shallots, ginger, turmeric, cumin (seeds), ground coriander and quinoa, cook until fragrant about 2-3 minutes.
- 2Add broth, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Remove from heat; leave covered 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in the tart cherries, *spinach/other greens, green onions, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with cashews and fresh cilantro, and serve.
*Alternatively, you can line a bowl with the spinach/greens then spoon the quinoa mixture over the greens. The heat from the cooked quinoa will warm the spinach.