Fa'alifu Fa'i-Green Banana in Savory Coconut Sauce
It is a main side dish of the Samoan people and is one that is made almost every day back home in the islands...it is a craved dish of ours that luckily our local stores have catered to in selling green bananas and canned or fresh coconut cream...
One eats this side dish as if it were rice or potato but with an island twist to it referring to the coconut sauce...YUMMY!!!
How to Make Fa'alifu Fa'i-Green Banana in Savory Coconut Sauce
- 1Tip: place green bananas in some hot to touch water for 5 minutes to make the peeling of the bananas a little easier
- 2Peel all bananas with a butter knife piercing either end of the banana skin and bringing the knife down (longwise) being careful not to damage the white flesh of the banana. Inch your way around the banana until the white flesh of the banana is exposed and free of the skin. Place bananas in shallow cold water to wash in - wash thoroughly as a darkish skin develops when the skinless banana is exposed to the air.
- 3Place the bananas a medium saucepan and put enough water just to cover them. Cover the saucepan with it's lid and heat to boil. Let boil for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and pour all the hot water out leaving only the bananas in the pot.
- 4While waiting for the bananas to cook, in a medium bowl pour the coconut cream and water and mix in the onions and salt to taste. Traditionally we stir the onions in with one hand crushing the onions in the process to help release the onion-ness into the solution.
- 5Before pouring the coconut mixture into the pot, turn the element on again on high and then pour the mixture onto the steamed bananas. Let boil for 5 minutes then remove the pot onto a cooling rack and wait and you can either immediately pour the contents into a medium sized bowl or cover the saucepan again until you are ready to indulge in this tasty delicious savory staple dish. Make sure you pour the sauce to completely cover all bananas to savor the taste of each bite you take...This is treated as you would rice or potatoes and goes deliciously with almost any main dish such as fish, meat, poultry, vegetarian or any other ethical meal...ENJOY!!!