Easy Spicy Bread 'n Butter Pickles
I just recently made a batch with Splenda for some family members and they turned out just as delicious. I couldn't tell the difference. I simply used @ half the amount of Splenda in place of the regular sugar.
- 1 gal
- jar whole kosher dill pickles, (can use regular dill or sour pickles)
- medium onions, sliced
- 2 c
- petite baby carrots
- 3 - 4 clove
- garlic, sliced
- 5 c
- sugar (or 2 1/2 c spenda)
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1 Tbsp
- yellow mustard seed
- 2 Tbsp
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 - 3 c
- pickle juice
How to Make Easy Spicy Bread 'n Butter Pickles
- 1Drain the pickles and reserve the juice
- 2Cut the ends of pickles and slice crosswise (approx. 1/2" slices). Place in large, airtight container (larger than the gallon jar since you are adding extra ingredients) I use a large enamel soup pot that has a lid.
- 3Add onions, carrots, garlic and one cup of the reserved pickle juice. Mix well.
- 4In a separate container, add all dry ingredients together and mix well. Add these ingredients to the pickle mixture and stir well to make sure that the dry mixture is combined with the vegetables.
- 5Cover with airtight lid and let sit in a cool place, dark pantry or even the refrigerator, over night. (You will be surprised at how much juice will be produced by this mixture after it sits.)
- 6Stir every few hours so that the sugar will dissolve.
- 7After sitting, stir one more time and add enough pickle juice just to cover mixture and stir very well.
- 8Cover and refrigerate.
- 9Pickles will keep indefinitely in refrigerator.
- 10Pickles may be put into pint canning jars or left in airtight, plastic container.