Easy Spicy Bread 'n Butter Pickles
I just recently made a batch with Splenda for some family members and they turned out just as delicious. I couldn't tell the difference. I simply used @ half the amount of Splenda in place of the regular sugar.
1 galjar whole kosher dill pickles, (can use regular dill or sour pickles)
2medium onions, sliced
2 cpetite baby carrots
3 - 4 clovegarlic, sliced
5 csugar (or 2 1/2 c spenda)
1 tspturmeric, ground
1 tspcelery seed
1 Tbspyellow mustard seed
2 Tbspcrushed red pepper flakes
1 - 3 cpickle juice
How to Make Easy Spicy Bread 'n Butter Pickles
- Drain the pickles and reserve the juice
- Cut the ends of pickles and slice crosswise (approx. 1/2" slices). Place in large, airtight container (larger than the gallon jar since you are adding extra ingredients) I use a large enamel soup pot that has a lid.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic and one cup of the reserved pickle juice. Mix well.
- In a separate container, add all dry ingredients together and mix well. Add these ingredients to the pickle mixture and stir well to make sure that the dry mixture is combined with the vegetables.
- Cover with airtight lid and let sit in a cool place, dark pantry or even the refrigerator, over night. (You will be surprised at how much juice will be produced by this mixture after it sits.)
- Stir every few hours so that the sugar will dissolve.
- After sitting, stir one more time and add enough pickle juice just to cover mixture and stir very well.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Pickles will keep indefinitely in refrigerator.
- Pickles may be put into pint canning jars or left in airtight, plastic container.