Dirty Black Eyed Peas
Here's to your good luck!
- 1/2 lb
- thick sliced bacon, diced
- 2 c
- onions, chopped
- 4 oz
- pickled pork meat, cubed
- smoked ham hocks, 3-4 ounces each
- 2 Tbsp
- garlic, chopped
- bay leaves
- 3 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme
- 1 lb
- dried black eyed peas
- 10 c
- chicken stock (see recipe in "the basics")
- salt and pepper
How to Make Dirty Black Eyed Peas
- 1In a large pan over medium heat, render bacon until crispy.
- 2Add onions and saute for about 3 minutes and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- 3Stir in pickled pork meat and ham hocks and saute for about 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in garlic, bay leaves, thyme, black eyed peas and chicken stock and adjust seasoning to taste.
- 5Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until peas are tender.
- 6Remove the ham hock from the peas, thinly slice and add back to the peas.
- 7Serve with jalapeno cornbread.