Dirty Black Eyed Peas
Here's to your good luck!
1/2 lbthick sliced bacon, diced
2 conions, chopped
4 ozpickled pork meat, cubed
2smoked ham hocks, 3-4 ounces each
2 Tbspgarlic, chopped
3 sprig(s)fresh thyme
1 lbdried black eyed peas
10 cchicken stock (see recipe in "the basics")
·salt and pepper
How to Make Dirty Black Eyed Peas
- In a large pan over medium heat, render bacon until crispy.
- Add onions and saute for about 3 minutes and season mixture with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pickled pork meat and ham hocks and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, bay leaves, thyme, black eyed peas and chicken stock and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until peas are tender.
- Remove the ham hock from the peas, thinly slice and add back to the peas.
- Serve with jalapeno cornbread.