Creamy Tex-Mex Grits
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1/3 c
- white onion, minced
- 1 clove
- garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 c
- red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 medium
- tomato, diced (when tomatoes are out of season use canned)
- 1/2 Tbsp
- chili powder, add more if you want the grits spicier
- salt, to taste (be careful how much you add because the cheese contains salt, too!)
- 2 c
- 1 c
- vegetable broth or water
- 3/4 c
- quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 c
- grated cheese ( i tested this recipe w/ equal amount of sharp white cheddar cheese, monterey jack and queso de oaxaca)
- fresh cilantro, minced
- fresh chilies: jalapeno, habanero, etc., sliced
How to Make Creamy Tex-Mex Grits
- 1Heat the olive oil in a pan on medium heat.
Add onion, garlic, red pepper, tomato and spices. Sautè until softened.
- 2Pour in the milk and broth or water. Bring to a boil. Stir in the grits, reduce to a simmer. Cook covered for 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- 3Remove from burner and stir in the grated cheese.
- 4Transfer to a serving platter or shallow bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro and fresh chilies, if desired.