Codfish cakes( bolinhos de bacalbau
- 1 lb
- salted cod,(boneless,soaked several changes of water.
- 4 medium
- potatoes,whole,skins intact(about 1 pound)
- 3 large
- eggs,lightly beaten
- 1/4 c
- finely chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp
- hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 tsp
- white pepper
- 3 c
- olive oil(for deep frying
- 1/4 c
- fresh flat parsley,or italiana parsley.
How to Make Codfish cakes( bolinhos de bacalbau
- 1Cook the fish several times and changing water often .De flaked fish until there's no fish has no skin or bones.IN large bowl ADD your fish pieces .USE 2 forks to pull the fish apart,OR just shred it .
- 2IN a large bowl. ADD,parsley ,smashed potatoes,peppers eggs and your cod fish fakes all together.AND SALT FOR YOUR TASTING AND MORE CRUSHED RED PEPPER.
- 3Heat cast iron skillet,make sure not to burn the olive oil.
- 4TAKE two teaspoons: WITH one hand, take a spoonful of the mixture.AND with the other hand and rotating motion, insert the bowl of the second spoon behind the mixture,scooping it out of the first spoon.
- 5REPEAT,repeat for several times back and forth,to obtain the an OVAL shape and Smooth finish (.THIS technique does take little practice,and patient.
- 6AFTER,the fish cakes are cooked,remove them and lay they down on paper towel to remove excess fat .
- 7ON a nice pretty serving platter arrange your fish cakes,and decorated with fresh stems of parsley.
- 8THIS portuguese style codfish cakes, can be used for as an appetizer,for parties,as a snack or as part of the simple meal when combined with rice and collards greens.
- 9AS a young girl i loved watching my mother making lots and lots ,of these for family A@ Christmas EVE gethering.SO i learned how to use the little spoons back and forth and help mom and grandmother.AND now i'm teaching my grandchildren after 5 generations,what a blessing.