Codfish cakes( bolinhos de bacalbau
1 lbsalted cod,(boneless,soaked several changes of water.
4 mediumpotatoes,whole,skins intact(about 1 pound)
3 largeeggs,lightly beaten
1/4 cfinely chopped onion
1/4 tsphot pepper sauce
1/2 tspwhite pepper
3 colive oil(for deep frying
1/4 cfresh flat parsley,or italiana parsley.
How to Make Codfish cakes( bolinhos de bacalbau
- Cook the fish several times and changing water often .De flaked fish until there's no fish has no skin or bones.IN large bowl ADD your fish pieces .USE 2 forks to pull the fish apart,OR just shred it .
- IN a large bowl. ADD,parsley ,smashed potatoes,peppers eggs and your cod fish fakes all together.AND SALT FOR YOUR TASTING AND MORE CRUSHED RED PEPPER.
- Heat cast iron skillet,make sure not to burn the olive oil.
- TAKE two teaspoons: WITH one hand, take a spoonful of the mixture.AND with the other hand and rotating motion, insert the bowl of the second spoon behind the mixture,scooping it out of the first spoon.
- REPEAT,repeat for several times back and forth,to obtain the an OVAL shape and Smooth finish (.THIS technique does take little practice,and patient.
- AFTER,the fish cakes are cooked,remove them and lay they down on paper towel to remove excess fat .
- ON a nice pretty serving platter arrange your fish cakes,and decorated with fresh stems of parsley.
- THIS portuguese style codfish cakes, can be used for as an appetizer,for parties,as a snack or as part of the simple meal when combined with rice and collards greens.
- AS a young girl i loved watching my mother making lots and lots ,of these for family A@ Christmas EVE gethering.SO i learned how to use the little spoons back and forth and help mom and grandmother.AND now i'm teaching my grandchildren after 5 generations,what a blessing.