Classic Baked Beans
Angela (Grammy) Derby
6 slicebacon, cooked crispy and halved or coarsely crumbled
1/2 conion, minced
1/4 cbell pepper, minced (optional)
3 28oz can(s)cans of pork and beans (we like bush's)
2 tspdry mustard or 1 tablespoon dijon
1/2 cbrown sugar
1/2 cketchup or your favorite bbq sauce
1/8 tspgarlic powder
How to Make Classic Baked Beans
- Preheat oven to 325'F.
- Fry bacon in large, deep sauté pan until bacon has partially cooked and released about 3-4 tablespoons of drippings. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add onions and pepper to drippings in pan and sauté until tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients, except bacon; bring to a simmer. Pour into a greased 3 quart baking dish. Top with bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.
- *SLOW COOKER TIP: If it's too hot to turn your oven on (like today), you can make these in the slow cooker! Just pour the mixture into your crockpot (I always line mine with the Slow Cooker Liners for easy clean up.) Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 5 hours (or high heat setting 2 1/2 to 3 hours) or until desired consistency.