1 lbs pkgdry navy beans
1-2 largevadalia onions
1 1/2 cbrown sugar, lightly packed
1 tspyellow mustard
1 jar(s)sourgham syrup
1 pkgsalt pork or bacon ends
1-2 tspbaking soda
·water to soak beans overnight
How to Make Boston Baked Beans
- Empty beans in a bowl. Pick out any beans that look bad. Cover with water and soak them overnight.
- Next morning dump beans and water into a pot. You can rinse and add more water to beans if you like. Heat beans with the baking soda added to the pot. Reserve the liquid.
- Mix 2 cups of reserve liquid with brown sugar, dry mustard and molasses. Set aside.
- I use a small crock pot. I layer onions slices, beans and salt pork or bacon ends. Pour reserve liquid and continue to layer till nearly full.
- Cover crock with foil and put a cookie sheet on rack below to catch any spills. I add a little extra molasses and brown sugar after an hour or two of cooking. Check beans so they do not dry out and burn. If needed I add some reserve liquid not used in the process.
- Oven should be low 250 degrees to 275 degrees max. Cook till beans are tender 5 hours or more.