Aunties Canned Trout
How to Make Aunties Canned Trout
- 110 POUNDS OF PRESSURE FOR 1 HOUR AND 15 MINUTES. Consult your canning book for specific directions, since different canners have slightly different instructions. However, 10# and 90 minutes has worked for any kind of cooker I've ever used.
- 2Method to can trout[freshwater].
Scale; gut; cut off heads and tails and fins. You can can in pints or quarts.
A pint jar will hold around 2 1/2 cleaned fish[8" to 10"].
A quart will hold 4 1/2 +-.
Yield--- pints= about 6/8 fish cakes, and a quart 12 to 15, depending on how big you make them.
- 3Ease the skin off and lift out the backbone if you want, all tho neither are necessary since the bones cook to mush in the canning process.
- 4Pint jars- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, cooking oil, vinegar then pack jars. Be absolutely sure to wipe off the top of jars.
Quart jars- 1 teaspoon salt, then pack the cooker.
- 5Make sure your pressure cooker is safe. A 22 quart cooker will hold 16 pints or 7 quarts.
The next size down is the 16 quart cooker[I think] and will hold 7 quarts or 7 or 8 pints.
When the pressure gets to 10 pounds cut heat so the jiggler jiggles 2 to 3 times a minute. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Take off of fire and let pressure reduce on its own. Remove lid and jars, then tighten one more time. And keep your fingers off of the lids. I repeat, Put your hands in your pocket. You'll hear them sea, they will pop when they seal..
If there are any that do not seal just put in the refrigerator and use them first...