★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 lbyellow eye beans (sometimes called yellow eye peas)
1 lbbrown sugar, light
1/2 to 1 lbsalt pork, sliced and cut in 1/2
1 Tbspyellow mustard, heaping
1 tspbaking soda
·salt to taste
How to Make AUNT ERMA KING'S BAKED BEANS
- Soak beans overnight,next day add cold water to cover.
- Add the tsp baking soda and stir, bring to boil and drain.
- Add hot water to cover beans, and add pork slices.
Cook stove top until just tender.
- Mix sugar,salt,mustard and ginger with a small amount of water.
Add to beans and stir.
- Put beans in a baking dish and arrange pork slices on top of beans.
Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) until thickened and beans are done, but not mushy, about 2 hours.
Stir and add water if needed.