- 2 lb
- yellow eye beans (sometimes called yellow eye peas)
- 1 lb
- brown sugar, light
- 1/2 to 1 lb
- salt pork, sliced and cut in 1/2
- 1 Tbsp
- yellow mustard, heaping
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- salt to taste
How to Make AUNT ERMA KING'S BAKED BEANS
- 1Soak beans overnight,next day add cold water to cover.
- 2Add the tsp baking soda and stir, bring to boil and drain.
- 3Add hot water to cover beans, and add pork slices.
Cook stove top until just tender.
- 4Mix sugar,salt,mustard and ginger with a small amount of water.
Add to beans and stir.
- 5Put beans in a baking dish and arrange pork slices on top of beans.
Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) until thickened and beans are done, but not mushy, about 2 hours.
Stir and add water if needed.