★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 10 slice
- whole-wheat bread, cut into 1/2-in cubes
- 1/2 lb
- sweet sausage, casing removed
- granny smith apple, peeled, cored, diced
- 1 medium
- onion, chopped
- 2 medium
- carrots, peeled and diced
- ribs celery, trimmed and diced
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 c
- chicken broth
- 1 tsp
- each, chopped sage, thyme and rosemary
- 1 1/4 tsp
- each, salt and pepper
How to Make Apple-Sausage Stuffing
- 1Heat oven to 350. Spread bread cubes onto two large baking sheets. Toast at 350 for 15 minutes and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into pan, breaking apart with a spoon. Cook until no longer pink, 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in apple, onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Heat through, about 3 minutes. Pour over bread cubes and stir gently to moisten.
- 4Loosely pack stuffing into turkey before roasting, placing excess in a small covered dish. Or spoon all stuffing into a 13x9x2-in baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes, uncovering for the last 5 minutes to crisp top, if desired.