Apple pie pierogi
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 4-5 lb
- of your favorite apples peeled and diced small
- 1/3 c
- cinnamon sugar mixture (divided)
- 1 2/3 stick
- butter (divided)
- dash or two of nutmeg
- pierogi dough (see recipe below)
How to Make Apple pie pierogi
- 1In large pot boil diced apples until soft but not mushy ... drain .. while still hot add approx 6 teaspoons butter and 2-3 teaspoons cinnamon sugar mixture and nutmeg ... mix well.
Apples are now ready to make into pierogi.
- 2Pierogi Dough
2 lrg eggs
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
Note: If dough is too thick add a couple of tablespoon of cold water until you reach pie dough like texture.
On flour prepared rolling surface , roll out 1/4 of dough at a time ... using a cutter/lid approx 3 1/2 inches diameter cut out dough cicles (makes approx 24 pockets) ... fill center of circles with approx 1 heaping tablespoon of apple filling ... fold over circle and with a egg wash or warm water close pierogi pockets pressing down with fork all along open edges. Add approx 6 pierogi at a time to pot of boiling salted water, boil approx 5-7 minutes. (stir gently) Remove from water and drain.
- 3In fry pan melt remaining butter .. add 6-8 pierogi, brown lightly on both side .. remove from pan ... add remaining cinnamon sugar mixture to butter left in pan ... cook low until a syrup texture ... drizzle syrup over pierogi and serve. (make additional syrup if needed)
Suggestion: add chopped walnuts to syrup, dust with powderedk sugar over pierogi
Serve as a dessert with a scoop of vanila ice cream "or" as a side with your pork roast / chop dinner.