moms spiced apples
6 largefirm apples
6thin lemon slices
1 Tbspgrated orange peel
1/4 ccold water
·red food coloring drops
How to Make moms spiced apples
- Peel and halve apples. Remove the stem ends. Carefully remove the core using a melon ball scoop. The halves need to be left intact in one piece.
- Combine sugar and water in a large skillet. Bring to a boil. Bring to a boil. Add the lemon slices, cloves, orange zest and cinnamon.
- Add the apples. Simmer over medium heat until the apples are tender but still firm about 15 minutes. Turn the apples over once during cooking.
- Remove apples and lemon slices to a serving dish. Bring the syrup in the skillet to a rolling boil. Boil until it forms a thin syrup 4-5 minutes.
- Stir the cornstarch into the 1/4 cup cold water.
- Stir into the syrup mixture and cook for about 4 minutes or until thickened. Add a few drops of red food coloring.
- Allow to cool just slightly and pour over the apples. Garnish each apple half with a maraschino cherry.