☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 largegreen tomatoes, 1/4-inch slices
3/4 call purpose flour
3 Tbspbacon drippings
6 Tbspvegetable oil
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes
- Layer green tomato slices in a small, deep dish, sprinkling each layer with sugar; let stand 1 hour.
- Drain, reserving sugar liquid.
- Combine all-purpose flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish; dredge tomato slices in mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon bacon drippings and 2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add about one-third of tomato slices.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat procedure twice with remaining tomato slices, bacon drippings, and oil.
- Drain off pan drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in skillet.
- Stir reserved sugar liquid until sugar dissolves.
- Add to reserved drippings in skillet; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle over fried tomatoes; serve immediately.