CROCKPOT STUFFING WITH SAUSAGE AND APPLES--BONNIES
Photo is my own.
- pound of jimmy dean pork sausage, browned
- cup onion, diced
- cup of celery, diced
- large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- stick of butter
- tablespoons my homemade stuffing seasoning mix
- squares of cornbread
- loaf of french bread diced
- cups chicken stock and diced, cooked giblets
- teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- teaspoon pepper, or more to taste
- recipe for my homemade stuffing seasoning mix:
- 1/2 cup celery flakes
- 1/2 cup parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup leaf sage
- 1/4 cup marjoram
- 1/4 cup savory
- 1/4 cup thyme
- (store the above in container with a tight lid)
How to Make CROCKPOT STUFFING WITH SAUSAGE AND APPLES--BONNIES
- 1Prepare the loaf of bread ahead of time by toasting the diced pieces in a 300 degree oven about 15 minutes until dry and slightly toasted.
- 2Mix the My Stuffing Seasoning Mix.
- 3Saute sausage until brown. Remove from pan and place in a large mixing bowl with the toasted bread and cornbread.
- 4Saute onions and celery in butter. Add 2 tablespoons of my Homemade Stuffing Seasoning mix. (posted) When the mixture is softened, about 3 minutes, add to the sausage in the mixing bowl. Add the diced apple, salt and pepper. Add half of the stock and giblets, stir, then add more stock, a little at a time until it is to your liking. Not too wet, not too dry. Place this stuffing in a crockpot and cook on high for 45 minutes, and then turn to low for 4 to 6 hours, depending on how brown you want it to get. If you want to mimic the moistness of stuffing cooked inside the bird with the crispness that usually occurs when the stuffing expands outside the bird, allow stuffing to cook in the crockpot for 6 to 8 hours. The parts on the side and bottom of the crock will crisp up while the top and middle remain moist. Optional: Place in greased casserole dish and cook about 30-45 minutes at 375 degrees. Enjoy!