APPLES STUFFED WITH GOODNESS (SALLYE)
This is another classic recipe from my mother's recipe chest. You won't be disappointed if you try this recipe.
6 TO 8 mediumfirm apples (fuji, rome, granny smith or similar)
8 tspdark brown sugar
1-1/2 tspgrated lemon zest
1/2 cchopped raisins
1/2 cchopped dates
1/2 cfinely chopped nuts
1-1/4 cmarsala wine
How to Make APPLES STUFFED WITH GOODNESS (SALLYE)
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Place rack in center of oven.
Butter bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside
- Wash and dry apples thoroughly. Do not peel.
Remove core from apples and discard.
Place apples in the baking dish with a little space between each apple.
- Finely chop raisins, dates and nuts. This can be done by hand or in a food processor.
- Mix together the brown sugar, lemon zest, raisins, dates and nuts.
- Fill the hollowed out core of each apple with the sugar mixture. If you have excess mixture, you can sprinkle it over the outside of the apples.
- SLOWLY pour the wine over the tops and sides of the apples, making sure it penetrates the sugar mixture inside the apples.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until apples are soft.
Baste frequently with wine juices from baking dish.
- Add a little more wine (1/4 cup) if needed to the juices in the baking dish to make a sauce.
Cook for about 2 more minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
Ladle this sauce over the baked apples and serve warm.
- A great side dish served with pork entrees.