APPLES STUFFED WITH GOODNESS (SALLYE)
This is another classic recipe from my mother's recipe chest. You won't be disappointed if you try this recipe.
- 6 TO 8 medium
- firm apples (fuji, rome, granny smith or similar)
- 8 tsp
- dark brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp
- grated lemon zest
- 1/2 c
- chopped raisins
- 1/2 c
- chopped dates
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped nuts
- 1-1/4 c
- marsala wine
How to Make APPLES STUFFED WITH GOODNESS (SALLYE)
- 1Preheat oven to 375º F. Place rack in center of oven.
Butter bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish and set aside
- 2Wash and dry apples thoroughly. Do not peel.
Remove core from apples and discard.
Place apples in the baking dish with a little space between each apple.
- 3Finely chop raisins, dates and nuts. This can be done by hand or in a food processor.
- 4Mix together the brown sugar, lemon zest, raisins, dates and nuts.
- 5Fill the hollowed out core of each apple with the sugar mixture. If you have excess mixture, you can sprinkle it over the outside of the apples.
- 6SLOWLY pour the wine over the tops and sides of the apples, making sure it penetrates the sugar mixture inside the apples.
- 7Place in preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until apples are soft.
Baste frequently with wine juices from baking dish.
- 8Add a little more wine (1/4 cup) if needed to the juices in the baking dish to make a sauce.
Cook for about 2 more minutes until sauce begins to thicken.
Ladle this sauce over the baked apples and serve warm.
- 9A great side dish served with pork entrees.