Sweet Pickle Relish
6-7large unpeeled cucumbers (about 4 cups), diced
2medium green bell peppers (about 1 1/2 cups), diced
2heads celery (about 3 cups), diced
3 1/2 csugar
2 cwhite vinegar
1 tspcelery seed
1 tspmustard seed
1 conion, diced
How to Make Sweet Pickle Relish
- In a food processor, finely chop the cucumbers, peppers, onion, and celery, being careful not to grind them into puree.
- Pour the veggies into a large bowl and add your salt. Cover with water and let stand out of the way for about 5 hours.
- After you have let them sit for the desired time, drain well, pressing the mixture to remove all the liquid. This part takes a little while, but be patient....you will love the results!
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Be careful not to take to deep a breath over the pot, the vinegar smell will get strong for a little bit.
- Continue stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved. Add the vegetable mixture to the saucepan, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pack into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space, always remembering to clean the rim of each jar to remove any relish that may prevent the jars from sealing properly. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.