Sweet Pickle Relish
- large unpeeled cucumbers (about 4 cups), diced
- medium green bell peppers (about 1 1/2 cups), diced
- heads celery (about 3 cups), diced
- 1/4 c
- 3 1/2 c
- 2 c
- white vinegar
- 1 tsp
- celery seed
- 1 tsp
- mustard seed
- 1 c
- onion, diced
How to Make Sweet Pickle Relish
- 1In a food processor, finely chop the cucumbers, peppers, onion, and celery, being careful not to grind them into puree.
- 2Pour the veggies into a large bowl and add your salt. Cover with water and let stand out of the way for about 5 hours.
- 3After you have let them sit for the desired time, drain well, pressing the mixture to remove all the liquid. This part takes a little while, but be patient....you will love the results!
- 4Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Be careful not to take to deep a breath over the pot, the vinegar smell will get strong for a little bit.
- 5Continue stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved. Add the vegetable mixture to the saucepan, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6Pack into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space, always remembering to clean the rim of each jar to remove any relish that may prevent the jars from sealing properly. Process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.